Spring is here and that means cleaning and sprucing up the house after this long and harsh winter. It also is a great time to evaluate the measures you’re taking for your home security.
Here is a checklist to help you get started. See how many you can check off!
1) Always change the locks when moving to a new home.
2) Keep your front door locked at all times.
3) If you choose to have your front door open for air circulation, make sure your screen door is locked.
4) Criminals may knock on the door to see if the home is empty. Never ignore the knock.
5) Keep garage doors closed and locked at all times. This is very important for attached garages that allow direct access to your house.
6) If you must leave a window open, make sure the window is inaccessible, or locked to prevent someone from entering through it.
7) Keep ladders secure. This will keep ladders away from burglars who may use them to enter via the second storey.
8) All second storey windows should be closed when you are not home. This will prevent easy access via ladders or fences.
9) Hedges should be trimmed to prevent cover for criminals.
10) Keep your property well lit to deter criminals.
11) Keep sentimental items in a well hidden place or a safe.
12) Keep your car locked at all times, even in the garage.
13) Keep your bike locked at all times, even in the garage.
14) Discretely dispose of TV, stereos or computer equipment boxes. Fold the cardboard box inside out before placing in the garbage or recycling bin.
15) Know your neighbours, they can serve as a neighbourhood watch.
16) Make sure that your home always looks like people are home. This means making sure the mail is picked up, the walk or driveway is shoveled and the lawn is cut.
Call us today for a free in-home estimate of your security needs (613) 965-5665